Re: A GPL-compatible license for photos and music. Which?

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:17:39 GMT NeuRoTiX wrote:

> Francesco Poli wrote:
> > The only (recommended) copyleft license that is GPL-compatible is
> > the GNU GPL itself. Current version is 2.0:
> > http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.txt
>
> Is it the same I got doing "man gpl"?

It seems so...
It's also the same as /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2 in Debian systems
(a part from the FSF mail address which has changed in the meanwhile:
sarge still includes the text with the old address...).

> I see that there is a license "for artworks" that is called to be the
> "GPL for art". I'm talking about the "Free Art License":
> http://artlibre.org/licence/lal/en/
>
> In the license FAQ (in french... and my french is poor but better
> than the free-online-translation-services' french) I can't find if
> this licence is compatible with GPL or not (as a Debian user is also
> interesting to know if this license is DFSG compatible).

There has recently been a subthread about this license:

Short summary:
GPL-incompatible and (most probably) non-free.
Not recommendable.

> It's obvious that releasing my works in GPL would be great. Not only
> because GPL *IS* the copyleft license, but also because I would avoid
> differente license proliferation... a thing that makes really hard the
> task to choose a license for a work: it is not acceptable that
> choosing the right license should take so many time (time that is
> better to use to create content).

Exactly.

> After reading your reply I decided to release under GPL, the only
> doubt I got now it's only about the fact that GPL is not "dedicated"
> to artworks... that's why I also ask an opionion about the "Free Art
> License".

Great!  :-))

> The copyleft attitude is ok for me: I think that every cultural work
> belongs to its contemporaries, just because that work spawned from its
> contemporaneity.
> [ok, stop, I'm falling in philosophy and maybe this is not the right
> place]

It's also great to hear say this!  :)

> Thank you and thanks to all the others that replied to my question.

Thanks to you for deciding to release works in a DFSG-free manner!

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4