Re: Proposed plan (and license) for the webpage relicensing

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:09:15 -0500 Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On 19 Apr 2006, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña uttered the following:
[...]
> > a) a proper license should be decided for the website.
> >
> > I suggest using a BSD-style license. The attached license is such a
> > license. It is based on the FreeBSD documentation license [3] and
> > explicitely mentions translations.  In our case (the website) the
> > 'source code' is the wml, but I leave references to other sources
> > (SGML, XML) that might apply to other documentation that the website
> > might hold.
>
>         I would be willing to license my contributions under the
>  GPL.  I do not see why translations are any different than another
>  wml file added to the combined work, so I don't see why the GPL is
>  not a perfectly good license for the wml code.

I agree that the GNU GPL v2 would be a perfectly reasonable choice for
the Debian website.
Several other GPLv2-compatible licenses are good choices too, however.

Out of curiousity, would you be willing to license your contributions
under "GPLv2 only"?
Or would you rather choose to license them under "GPLv2 or later"?

> > b) old contributors to the web site (i.e. all that have had CVS
> >    access to the WWW CVS are for the past 10 years) should be
> >    contacted and ask to   agree to this license change.
>

>         As long as the licenses used are compatible, we may not need a
>  common license. Standard footers can be provided for inclusion for
>  each page.

That's a possible approach too.
It requires more care and is somewhat more complicated, though.

[...]
> > d) new contributors during that period should be asked to agree to
> >    the license change and to transfer (c) to SPI (GPG/PGP signed
> >    e-mail would be a requisite for contributing, a paper trail would
> >    be even best)
>
>         What reason should people assign copyright if the license is
>  free?  I have no intention of doing so, for any past or future
>  contributions.

Agreed.

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4