Re: RFC: the new license for IBPP

Francesco Poli wrote:
> A package that includes a part which is licensed in a non-free
> manner does *not* comply with the DFSG. I cannot extract that part
> of FlameRobin source code (namely the IBPP C++ classes) and
> exercise the freedoms the DFSG guarantee. Therefore, FlameRobin
> does not meet the DFSG and cannot be in main, according to the SC.

You can extract IBPP from FlameRobin and do whatever you want with it
as long as it is included in a "Hello, World!"-probram. Yes, this is a
restriction, but is easily worked around.

> I repeat. My suggestion is: try (harder) to persuade IBPP upstream
> to adopt the real unmodified Expat license. That way, every concern
> would vanish.

I am trying since November 2005. Not that I have no progress (original
license was IDPL - an MPL clone). This is what upstream says about
original expat:
  I know that some people would prefer IBPP to go with the unchanged
  Expat license (often mistakenly named MIT/BSD license - which is not
  the exact same thing) because it looks so close to that one. But no,
  it won't be. IBPP has its own terms.

and later:
  This discussion is over for me.
  I will have well enough to do with the OSI certification in the
  coming weeks and months.

MJRay, may we have your comments too? Olivier sent me copies of some
off-list discussion in which you tend to agree that new license is ok
for Debian.

Firendly,
dam
--
Damyan Ivanov                              Creditreform Bulgaria
divanov@creditreform.bg              http://www.creditreform.bg/