Re: Debian packaging and (possible) Eterm license violations

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 23:10 -0500, Michael Poole wrote:
> This kind of licensing conflict is a release-critical bug in the
> package under Debian Policy.  The ideal solution for Debian is exactly
> what you suggested in the bug comments: work with the upstream
> maintainer to sort out license incompatibilities.  Poorer solutions
> are to change just the Debian package by finding compatibly-licensed
> alternatives or ripping out the conflicting code.

Hi Michael,

Please pardon my Debian-ignorance, but where is the correct place to
"file this bug"?

I want to get the bug officially noticed in part because upstream has
said (and I'm paraphrasing here): "Debian has no problem with the
current Eterm license terms so you shouldn't, either."

> As a purely pedantic note, the enlightenment/eterm CVS browser at
> SourceForge makes it looks like grkelot.[ch] are under the same
> BSD-with-advertising license that Michael Jennings' "the rest" code
> uses.  Not specifically mentioned in the bug report is the (L)GPL
> incompatibility with the classic advertising clause that is used for
> the BSD-licensed portions.

Yes, true.

> (If you follow debian-legal, I apologize for cc'ing you directly, but
> it seemed the more reliable way to get the response through.)

No worries!  I appreciate your help!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD