Re: FYI: Savannah seems to reject "GPLv2 only" projects

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 01:38:48 +0100 Florent Bayle wrote:

> Le Mercredi 22 Mars 2006 01:13, Francesco Poli a écrit :
> [...]
> > It seems that I must find another place to have my project hosted...
> >
> > Sourceforge provides services by running proprietary tools: I don't
> > want to get used to something that is non-free (and could even
> > suddenly become only available for a fee).
> > Savannah was born for this very reason...
> >
> > Other similar project-hosting services?
> > Any suggestions?
>
> https://www.gna.org/
> http://www.tuxfamily.org/
>
> Two french Free Software hosting projects.
>
> I don't know Gna ! very much, but I can speak of TuxFamily (I'm one of
> the  admins). TuxFamily provides you hosting for your free software
> projects.  Hosting include Web (HTML, Php4, Php5) + Database (MySql,
> Postgresql), CVS,  SVN, Mailing-Lists (beta), Domain hosting (web +
> mail). We are using only  free softwares (Debian, Apache, Exim,
> Vhffs,...). You can find a quick  translation of the Hosting Rules
> here :  http://faq.tuxfamily.org/wakka.php?wiki=InscriptionTuxfamilyEn
> (and you can,  of course, submit the description of your project in
> English).

First of all, thanks for the suggestions.

As Je'ro^me Marant points out, Gna! does not accept GPL v2 only projects
either: I'm not surprised[1], since it's operated by FSF France...

On the other hand, TuxFamily seems rather interesting.
One problem that _I_ have with TuxFamily is that almost all the web site
texts are in French only: I speak Italian and English, but not quite
French (I can manage to understand some simple sentences, but nothing
more... sorry).

[1] well, actually I _am_ surprised (and disappointed) that the FSF
won't host GPLv2 only projects, but, once I learned this, I'm _not_
surprised they mandate the same rule to national affiliates.

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4