Re: Results for Debian's Position on the GFDL

Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net>
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 05:02:54PM -0500, Michael Poole wrote:
> > Plenty.  17 USC 107 defines fair use.  Many non-US jurisdictions do
> > not have any fair use provisions under copyright law.
>
> Give an example of one.

The United Kingdom legislation contains fair dealing and permitted uses
which are not really the same as fair use. Copyright law here covers
all copying, even on your own computer and not distributed, except for
limited exceptions stated in
http://www.jenkins-ip.com/patlaw/cdpa1.htm#s28A
http://www.jenkins-ip.com/patlaw/cdpa1.htm#s50A
and "lawful use" broadly means permitted by the licence. 50A is quite
misleading too, as I've read about at least one judge reasoning that
no backups are necessary (as opposed to desirable), in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fsfe-uk/2005-12/msg00006.html

The 1988 Act covers use and non-distributed copies quite comprehensively
since the EUCD was rammed into it.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef