Re: Software license used for SHA-2 reference code

Hi Simon,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 10:22:32AM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Hi.  A newly approved IETF document contains reference code for SHA-2,
> and they propose to use the following license:

> 1.1 License

>    Royalty free license to copy and use this software is granted,
>    provided that redistributed derivative works do not contain
>    misleading author or version information.  Royalty free license is
>    also granted to make and use derivative works provided that such
>    works are identified as derived from this work.

>    The authors make no representations concerning either the
>    merchantability of this software or the suitability of this software
>    for any particular purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or
>    implied warranty of any kind.

> Is this DFSG-free?

> I'm sorry that I'm asking for licenses on a piece of work that is not
> targeted for inclusion into Debian at this point.  However, I suspect
> that the reference code in this RFC will end up in several projects
> sooner or later.  It is only now we have an opportunity to influence
> the license chosen.

> Please try to be conservative in proposing fixes to the license.

The license grants permission to use, copy, create derivative works, and
redistribute.  The only stipulations are that the original author be
credited, and derivative works be labeled; and there's a warranty
disclaimer.  I think this is clearly DFSG-compliant.

Thanks,