Re: EU antitrust is also cool (was: A new practical problem...)

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:17:25PM +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> On 2/14/06, Yorick Cool <yozz@fenris.be> wrote:
> [...]
> > First off, hello.
>
> Hello Yorick.
>
> What is your educated opinion regarding the GPL being in trouble re
> http://europa.eu.int/comm/competition/legislation/treaties/ec/art81_en.html?

I promised myself not to feed trolls, but just out of curiosity, which
are the undertakings entering into illicit agreements under art. 81?
Assuming you mean the FSF and/or GNU project, with whom are they
entering onto agreement? Mmmmh?

Also, please have a look at 81 § 3.

I'll also let you know that you have to demonstrate a negative effect
on the european market to win a case on art. 81 §1. Good luck with
that.

My educated opinion is hence that art. 81 is not a problem with regard
to art. 81. The GPL is a contract between a producer and a buyer
of goods, not between producers, and is not in any regard
price-fixing.

Funnily enough, I have just been asked to write upon the subject, but
have declined to a career change I'm considering.