Re: FYI: Savannah forces new projects to use GFDL for documentation

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:04:22PM -0500, Felix Kühling wrote:
> I was trying to get my project DRIconf hosted at Savannah (Non-GNU) and
> found out that as of recently Savannah requires all new projects to
> license their documentation under the GFDL, which we all know, Debian
> considers non-free. Dual-licensing under GFDL and GPL is apparently
> still ok. See also
> http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=5214.

While it's "their servers, their rules", I think the rule is a bit weird --
the GPL is a perfectly valid licence for documentation, and it's an FSF
licence.

What really got me saying "whoa!" though is the blog post linked from the
ticket comments -- the fourth paragraph seems to say that Savannah changed
it's policy because Debian doesn't think the GFDL is DFSG-free.  Worrying,
if true.

- Matt