Re: Affero General Public License

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 02:10:23PM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> They may require that if the work interacts with users, but the
> interface is such that those users do not receive a copy of the
> software, you must still satisfy the requirements of clause 6
> ("Non-Source Distribution") as though you had distributed the work to
> those users in the form of Object Code.

Although the "interface is such that" bit feels a little awkward, this
is a step forward.  If I use a source file from eg. Apache in a tiny
embedded device, allow me to supply the source (that won't even fit
on the device, never mind that the device has no I/O suitable for
sending source) on an included CD.  It excludes from "users" (still
ill-defined) people who don't "interact", which is an improvement.

What about supermarket self-check-out, ATMs, self-service gas stations,
toll booths, voicemail, arcade machines?  Software interacts with users
in every way imaginable ...

--
Glenn Maynard