Re: libgsm: right to distribute

On 2/4/06, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 07:19:28PM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> > Simon Neininger wrote:
> > > Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994 by Jutta Degener and Carsten Bormann,
> > > Technische Universitaet Berlin
> >
> > Carsten is my thesis counsellor, I'll ask him for clarification.
> >
> > I have no reason to believe that distribution is not permitted,
> > though.
> It's probably intended, but the license doesn't say that.

Distribution of authorized copies per statute aside for a moment, the
guys are from Germany. In Germany, unqualified "Nutzungsrecht" ("right
to use") means a non-exclusive license to exercise the whole bundle of
licensable rights.

Go try to Babel Fish (or alike) "translate"
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/de/legalcode> for example.

You'll get something along the lines of:

3. Lizenzierung. Under the conditions of this license agreement the
licenser a royalty-free grants, spatially and temporally (for the
duration of copyright or used patent right) unrestricted simple right
to use to you to use the protection article ... blah blah