Re: Adobe open source license -- is this licence free?

Hi Yorick!

You wrote:

> <quote>
> 1.  Debian will remain 100% free
>
> We provide the guidelines that we use to determine if a work is "free"
> in the document entitled "The Debian Free Software Guidelines". *We
> promise that the Debian system and all its components will be free
> according to these guidelines*. We will support people who create or
> use both free and non-free works on Debian. We will never make the
> system require the use of a non-free component.
> </quote>
>
> I agree it doesn't say "we promise to distribute each and every piece
> of software that could fall into the guidelines' reach",

Exactly.  It says: "we won't distribute stuff that doesn't adhere to the
guidelines".  If, according to debian-legal and the ftp masters, choice
of venue clauses are a violation of the guidelines, we can therefore not
distribute them.

> but if we
> don't want to render the emphasized promise pointless, we do have to
> stick more or less closely to what the DFSG say when we treat things
> as free/non-free, otherwise we are blatantly misleading
> people. Interpreting the DFSG is one thing, adding stuff to them is
> another.

So, how, according to you, does such a clause _not_ violate DFSG #5?

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw              | GPG key: 0644fab7                     |