Re: GR proposal: GFDL with no Invariant Sections is free

Glenn Maynard
> The FSF has made it clear that it does not believe documentation does
> not need the same freedoms as software, and has even agreed that the
> GFDL is not a Free Software license.

RMS quotes for this position:

"I am not sure if the GFDL is a
free software license, but I don't think the question matters."
 - http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/09/msg01221.html

"Changing the GFDL to permit removal of these sections
would defeat the purpose."
 - http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/08/msg00807.html

Eben Moglen quote against this position:

"We can't depend for the long run on distinguishing one bitstream
from another in order to figure out which rules apply."
 - http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue4_8/moglen/index.html

Personally, I think we need the same freedoms if we ever want to
have sustainably up-to-date manuals for free software.

--
MJR/slef