Re: GR: GFDL Position Statement

Andy Teijelo Pérez <ateijelo@uh.cu> writes:

> I think that's exagerated. That's just a waste of time and
> resources. What else should be done at build time, make all KDE
> artists repaint and re-photograph all KDE wallpapers? I don't think
> art can always be treated the same way software is treated. Many music
> files are just recordings, and many graphic files don't have any
> source, they were just painted or photographed.  That kind of artwork
> is simply imposible to "modify from source". What's Debian going to
> do? Not include any kind of art which was not generated from some
> source? No photographs and no recordings? Just svgs and midis?

I agree that it (may be?) somewhat exaggerated: whether or not to
rebuild such stuff at build time should be decided based on technical
and policy reasons.  Is it feasible, and do the benefits (for example,
automatically ensuring source is available and buildable) outweigh the
costs?

But source (defined as the preferred form for modification -- the best
definition I've heard by far) should be available.  If you wanted to
tweak it or modify it, what would you need?  If the answer involves
starting from scratch, or from the raw image already available, a
separate source probably isn't necessary.  But it sounds like povray
source files would qualify as source, and therefore should be available.

> Regards, and sorry for my english.

Your english was quite good.  :)

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>