Re: Ironies abound (was Re: GPL v3 draft)

What is it you need to get rid of trolls? Fire?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 02:33:41PM +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
Alexander> On 1/19/06, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
Alexander> [...]
Alexander> > compatible with itself
Alexander>
Alexander> The GPL is incompatible with itself.
Alexander>
Alexander> <quote***>
Alexander>
Alexander> A recent press conference of the Free Software Foundation confirmed
Alexander> the rumors that the GNU General Public License was found to be
Alexander> incompatible with itself. This newly discovered fact may actually
Alexander> cause a lot of disorder in the free software world in which most
Alexander> programs and libraries are licensed under this license.
Alexander>
Alexander> Richard Stallman, chairman of the FSF, called upon developers to
Alexander> immediately exempt GPL-licensed software from the GPL, as far as
Alexander> linking them with GPL programs is concerned. "We have already made
Alexander> sure all GNU software and every other software that is licensed to
Alexander> the Free Software Foundation would be ad-hoc compatible with itself.
Alexander> However we need other developers to do the same for their software",
Alexander> Stallman said.
Alexander>
Alexander> Eben Moglen, the FSF's attorney outlined the subsequent steps that
Alexander> his organization will take to overcome this crisis. The first step
Alexander> would be releasing a Modified General Public License (or MGPL for
Alexander> short) that will be compatible with the GPL and with itself as well
Alexander> as with all other licenses that the GPL is already compatible with.
Alexander> It will be labeled the GPL version 2.1, thus allowing developers to
Alexander> convert their software to it. He noted that care would be taken to
Alexander> make sure the upcoming GPL version 3.0 will be compatible with
Alexander> itself, as well as the MGPL.
Alexander>
Alexander> For the time being, though, there is an explosion of commentary,
Alexander> confusion and otherwise bad temper about the newly formed situation.
Alexander> Eric S. Raymond, the famous Open Source Guru notes: "This is one of
Alexander> the greatest blows to the Open Source world, I have yet encountered.
Alexander> I have already exempted all of my own software from the GPL in this
Alexander> regard, but there is a lot of other software out there, and many of
Alexander> its authors are not very communicative.
Alexander>
Alexander> Bill Gates, Microsoft's co-founder, on the other hand, seems to
Alexander> find the situation very amusing: "I said times and again, that
Alexander> viral licenses such as the GPL are a bad idea, and many open-source
Alexander> advocates disagreed. Now they see that even making sure one's
Alexander> license is compatible with itself, is hard to do when you open that
Alexander> can of worms."
Alexander>
Alexander> The integrity of many software projects whose license is the GPL and
Alexander> yet contain works licensed by several developers is in jeopardy. The
Alexander> Linux kernel is a prominent example of such a case. In a post to its
Alexander> mailing list, Linus Torvalds commented that, in their case, it was
Alexander> not an issue. "My interpretation of the GPL is already quite unusual,
Alexander> so I'll simply rule that I also interpret the GPL as compatible with
Alexander> itself."
Alexander>
Alexander> </quote>
Alexander>
Alexander> regards,
Alexander> alexander.
Alexander>
Alexander> ***) Posted by Shlomi Fish on Monday April 01
Alexander>

--
Yorick