Re: "object code" in the GPL and printed copies

Alexander Terekhov writes:

> On 18 Jan 2006 10:31:12 -0500, Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:
> > Frank Küster writes:
> >
> > > I wouldn't be too sure that "set" doesn't have a different meaning to
> > > lawyers than it has to mathematicians or computer scientists.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I doubt whether sequence is correct, too - unless you redefine
> > > sequence to include conditional execution and loops.
> >
> > Regardless of what copyright law defines a thing to mean, contracts
> > are free to define the terms they use, and where such a definition is
> > given directly or via parol evidence, it supercedes (within the scope
> > of that contract) the definitions found in statute or copyright office
> > policies.
>
> Legal outcome from attempts to override terms of art and legal terms
> with some gibberish GNUspeak aside for a moment, the GPL is not
> a contract, says Moglen.
>
> Comprehendo?

Read the freaking archives already.  This is not a new question for
debian-legal.  You put an entirely misplaced emphasis on what the FSF
says about the GPL's nature as a contract or not.  Until you show at a
modicum of research and novel contribution, I will not explain to you
why that is irrelevant.  Likewise, until you bother to abide by the
Debian Mailing List Rules of Conduct[1] -- including the bits about
not spamming, not flaming, and CC'ing people only on request -- I will
not help you understand how the law applies.

Comprende?

Michael Poole