Re: FYI, kernel firmware non-freeness discussions

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Because it's -legal's job to interpret licenses, not the DFSG?

The -legal regulars are very likely to be interested in this issue.  The
ftpmasters effectively delegate interpretation as to what is "free enough for
main" to -legal much of the time, perhaps since it usually is tied up with
license interpretation.  So many -legal regulars have been involved in
interpreting the DFSG and the Social Contract.  Indeed, some were involved in
the drafting of the most recent version of the Social Contract.
Accordingly, -legal regulars are very likely to have productive and helpful
comments on the issue, and also to have strong opinions.

Accordingly, I thought that it was a good idea to *notify* -legal of the
discussion taking place on -project and elsewhere, since I suspect that not
all of the -legal regulars follow those lists.  I don't really have any
objection to the discussion taking place on -project or elsewhere; I just
thought -legal should be given a heads-up.  I noticed only because I follow
-release.

I'm sure you agree that this is reasonable.