Re: the FSF's GPLv3 launch conference

On 1/7/06, Andrew Donnellan <ajdlinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> <sarcasm>That would be *really* easy to do.</sarcasm> To relicense the
> entire GPL codebase would mean every contributor to every GPL project
> would have to agree, possibly in writing. There are thousands, maybe
> millions of them.

If they don't mind quasi public domain... which is even better as far as
I'm concerned.

> And FSF is really likely to want to retire the GPL. Just note that the
> sections of the copyright act you have quoted allow you to copy for
> lawful purposes, and to sell your original copy *on the condition that
> you dispose of it*.

What "original copy" and "the condition" are you talking about? In order
to sell/dispose/distribute (as I see fit), I only have to be "the owner
of a particular copy or phonorecord lawfully made" under copyright law.
17 USC 109. A copy can be "lawfully made" if it is made by the copyright
owner, made with the authorization of the copyright owner (explicit or
implicit), or made under one of the exceptions to the copyright owner's
exclusive rights.

>                      Only the GPL gives you the right to sell copies
> *you* have made.

That may be true in the GNU Republic. How's the weather over there?

regards,
alexander.