Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement

On 1/5/06, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
> > But not all documentation is attached to a software. For instance, if
> > I write a book "Software development on Debian", releasing it under
> > the GFDL is still the reasonable thing to do.
>
> It's reasonable if you want to attach adverts to it and allow others
> to do so, while witholding the freedom to edit or remove those adverts.
>
> If one wants to forbid all changes, then releasing under a CC-nd
> licence is. a reasonable action. Not free software, though, which is
> what this list usually likes and a free software operating system
> should have free software manuals.

I've been a Debian user for eight years.  I can count on one hand the
number of times I've used proprietary software in all of that time;
well, unless you count helping people out by answering their (MS
Windows or MAC OS) questions or looking over their shoulder.   I'm
also working with Wikipedia, CC, & FSF on licensing issues.  I'm an
academic scientist.   I run a 70 processor cluster (Debian stable &
OpenSSI.) I do synthetic biology.  I work on Personal Genomics; my
mentor's article about the work is the cover story for January's
Scientific American.   I hate proprietary academic publishing, so,
I'd like to see a "pipeline" from Academic Wikis to Academic Journals
to Wikipedia.  That pipeline will almost certainly be GFDL/CC-BY-SA.
It's really sad to see blood boil over these licenses.  Since I am
talking to people at FSF & CC regularly, I would be more than happy to
bring Debian concerns to both groups in a, hopefuly, productive
fashion.    If there's a desire for that, just get in touch with me.

Thanks, and Happy New Year,
Sasha

PS. I'm often on AIM/Google Talk as "alexanderwait" and or Freenode as
"asw" or "await".
--
http://freelogy.org/wiki/User:AlexanderWait  (GnuPG ID 4153 C516)