Re: contrib or main?

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 06:44:53PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> It can be applied to just about anything in contrib: "an application that is
> nonfunctional without a non-free library doesn't require it, it's just not
> very useful without it"; "a Java application doesn't require a JRE, it's
> just not very useful without one".

The distinction lies somewhere in the region of intended usage. A DVD
player? That's fine, we don't need to ship a dvd-video image - people
are going to play all kinds of stuff, some of which will be their own
creation and some of which will be free. An application where
everybody is going to install a non-free library before they run it?
That's obviously Marco d'Itri again.

Please don't fall prey to his rules-lawyering, you really *can't*
reduce this stuff to a set of programmatic rules. You do have to
exercise judgement in good faith (neither blindly following rules nor
attempting to abuse them).

If you think about "substantial non-infringing usage" then you're not
too far from the mark.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |