Re: Licenses for DebConf6

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:21:38 +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 06:59:41AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:
>> > I think this is an awful reason, considering that Debian already
>> > contains too many non-software packages.
>> I'm sorry, I was under the impression that every package in Debian
>> was software.  Are you confusing software and computer programs?

> In case you hadn't noticed, for the Debian project's purposes
> software is a synonym for computer programs; if it weren't the
> reversion of the social contract would have had no effect on the
> "non-free documentation in main" question. Indeed, the secretary
> refused to allow a GR proposal to revert that policy without
> limiting the social contract to talking about free "software".

        The editorial change actually had no effect on the social
 contract, which is why it was called an editorial change. So, by
 definition, since there was no real change to social contract,
 everything that is encoded in debian using 1's and 0's is software,
 as opposed to hardware or wetware.

        Do not pretend that your particular interpretation is the
 universally accepted one; the fact that no one objected to the GR
 title means that people who were paying attention agreed with
 everything is software, and people not paying attention, well. At the
 very least, there are varying interpretations, and pretending there
 are not does not help your thesis any.

        manoj
--
Men who cherish for women the highest respect are seldom popular with
them. Joseph Addison