Re: Licenses for DebConf6

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:46:24 +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:00:55AM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 03:26:58PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>> > Why fight at all? If having a free license is so obviously
>> > correct, why force people to do it? If some people are
>> > uncomfortable with it, why fight that?
>> Even within Debian, it's become clear to me that, if we want
>> DFSG-free things, it has to be mandatory and enforced,

> Of course, within Debian DFSG-freeness isn't mandatory or enforced:
> you can upload to non-free instead of main just by tweaking your
> control file.

        I am sure you are aware that is not part of Debian. Perhaps it
 was wring not to throw non-free archives  off Debian machines, if
 such confusion is rampant.

> And that lack of compulsion, coupled with a fairly strong
> endorsement of DFSG-free content has resulted in DFSG-free software
> making up 98% of unstable.

        And 100% of Debian.

> I don't believe I've seen anyone debate my use of the (aiui)
> non-DFSG-free CC ShareAlike/Attrib clause on my debbugs paper this
> year.

        I was not aware  that you were soliciting opinions. If you
 are, I find it deplorable. I saw no benefit in sharing my opinion
 after the fact, but am perfectly willing to do so if you think my
 rectitude was implicit approval.

> There's no actual requirement for debate there either, the people
> who want to license their paper in non-DFSG-free way can happily
> leave the last word to the DFSG advocates because they don't have to
> debate to get their way;

        Only if they want their papers in a collection which is
 actually part of Debian, they do too.

> and the advocacy and arguments about the DFSG are more likely to
> have a long term effect than the license on any paper presented at a
> conference.

        Any advocacy of the DFSG by an organization that happily
 accepts non-free licenses when it is convenient, smacks so much of
 hypocrisy to be unpersuasive. But that is just my opinion.

        manoj

--
You have the power to influence all with whom you come in contact.