Re: Rules for submitting licenses for review

On 25/08/05, Raul Miller <moth.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/24/05, Ricardo Gladwell <ricardo.gladwell@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In other words, it discriminates against the legitimate field of
> > endeavour of writing games and other works compatible with other
> > trademarked works. Please also see my notes on restrictions on
> > software usage.
>
> This might be a real issue, but I'm not certain about that.
>
> Essentially they're saying that you can't use other people's trademarks
> without their permission.

I think it goes beyond merely a note that the license is not a grant
of trademark right. It excludes the ability to indicate compatability
with other trademarked works. Imagine if a license prevented you from
writing an import/export license for MS Word or some other trademarked
work in a word processor for fear of indicating "compatibility or
co-adaptability".

>From what I understand from the author's opinion on marking
compatability I would argue that this interpretation is the original
intent. It's specific intent is to require downstream user's to use a
seperate license for the purposes of using Wizard's of the Coasts d20
trademark license and restricting claims of compatability with their
Dungeons and Dragons trademark.

As I understand it Section 7 is there because of some dispute over how
trademark law can be interpreted for claiming compatability.

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell <ricardo.gladwell@gmail.com>