Re: [PEAR-QA] PHP License

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 01:38 am, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> I fail to understand why the licence under which the PHP programming
> language resorts, can govern software under the GPL, since the PHP licence
> only mentions derivative works, not applications written in that
> programming language. If phpbb would be a PHP-derivative you would be
> completely correct. But it's clearly not, so in what way do those terms
> apply to it?

I'm pretty sure it is a PHP-derivative.  It relies on all sorts of built in
PHP functions to create the finished work.  Perhaps...  PERHAPS...  the code
you download for phpbb, on its own, MIGHT be a separate and distinct work,
but it's not "phpbb" until it's merged with PHP functions to create the
finished, derived work.  Now, some might claim a defense under (s)107(a)(1)
of the U.S. Copyright statute that says that "copy or adaptation is created
as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in
conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner" is not
infringement...  but just because it's not infringement does not make the
resulting work a derivative work.

So that's why the terms apply,
Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
3rd Year - University of Washington School of Law

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown