Re: [PEAR-QA] PHP License

On Wed, August 24, 2005 10:20, Joe Stump wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2005, at 12:41 AM, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
>
>> On Wed, August 24, 2005 02:39, Alan Knowles wrote:
>>
>>> While I agree we probably need to  review 3-5.. It may be worth
>>> reminding debial-legal that AFAIK packages like phpgroupware,
>>> phpbb etc.
>>> violate the PHP licence.. So I do hope they are addressing those
>>> issues
>>> with as much vigor... ;)
>>>

>> I don't quite follow you here. PhpBB2 is licenced under the GNU GPL.
>> Reading the PHP licence, the only way it could be bound to the
>> terms of
>> tha licence is when it was derived from PHP itself. I don't think
>> you can
>> call something programmed in PHP "derived from PHP". I'm curious
>> how you
>> think phpbb violates this licence, so we can resolve the problem.

> He's referencing the passage that mentions that you can't use "PHP"
> in your package name. If you called it "BB of PHP" it would be fine.

I fail to understand why the licence under which the PHP programming
language resorts, can govern software under the GPL, since the PHP licence
only mentions derivative works, not applications written in that
programming language. If phpbb would be a PHP-derivative you would be
completely correct. But it's clearly not, so in what way do those terms
apply to it?

Thijs