Re: [PEAR-QA] Re: [PEAR-DEV] Re: [PEAR-QA] PHP License

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 09:34:18PM -0700, Justin Patrin wrote:
> On 8/23/05, Ian Eure <ieure@php.net> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 August 2005 05:46 pm, Joe Stump wrote:
> > > I agree. I never understood why we used the PHP license over, say,
> > > the BSD or LGPL (which both fit library level type code a lot better
> > > IMO). To have the license require distribution of PHP is a little
> > > odd. What I'm a tad more confused about is why anyone would maintain
> > > their packages through apt instead of pear.

> > > pear upgrade Package_Name

> > > - or -

> > > pear upgrade-all

> > > Translates about as well as "apt-get install php4-pear-package-name"
> > > I would think.

> > - Consistency. If there were many packaging systems, the OS as a whole would
> > be an inconsistent mishmash.
> > - Security. Debian has a centralized security system, and using a 3rd-party
> > packaging system on a Debian box defeats that.
> > - Because Debian Stable should be Debian Stable. PEAR_FooBar 1.0.6 may have a
> > fix for a security issue or critical bug, but may break in relation to
> > 0.9.0b3 or 1.0.1, as shipped with the last Debian Stable. Upgrading to
> > PEAR_FooBar 1.0.6 is an unknown quantity, while you know that your packages
> > will only get BC fixes when upgrading with apt-get.

> And someone working in Debian is checking all PEAR packages for BC breaks?

> Come on now. PEAR packages adhere to BC rules. Any stable package *may
> not break BC*. If a new release breaks BC it's a bug and will be fixed
> either by the author or the QA team. I honestly don't see how a Debian
> maintainer is going to know about and deal with BC problems any better
> than the PEAR QA team.

If this is the same sort of BC support that PHP upstream provides, it
will be of little comfort to users of Debian's stable PHP packages when
a security update is made available only for a newer major version of
the PEAR package which doesn't support the frozen version of PHP that
we've shipped...