Re: Code of conduct and MUAs

On 06 Aug 2005 16:48:38 GMT MJ Ray wrote:

> Francesco Poli <frx@winstonsmith.info> wrote:
>
> > IIRC, the code of conduct says that the canonical way to ask to be
> > Cc:ed on replies is setting an appropriate Mail-Followup-To: field.
> > Asking the same in the message body (in natural language) is a
> > useful reminder for users of MUAs that do not automatically honour
> > the Mail-Followup-To: field.
> >
> > Am I correct?
>
> Not as far as I can tell. The code of conduct doesn't mention
> MFT.

I stand corrected.
Actually the code of conduct states:

| When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon
| copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be
| copied.

I cannot recall where I got the idea that the canonical way of
requesting to be Cc:ed is setting an appropriate Mail-Followup-To:
header...  :-(

> I'm not surprised, because MFT is a controversial
> non-working invented header which failed to get standardised
> and is only supported by a few mailers.

Well, it seems to be very popular here...
I don't know if it really works, since Sylpheed (the MUA I use) does not
support it.

> Mention your CC wish
> in your sig if you feel strongly.

I'd rather avoid this, since I should use a different .signature for
each context (lists I'm subscribed to, lists I'm not subscribed to,
private e-mail comunications, ...)
And anyway, how can you remember who requested to be Cc:ed in a long
thread?

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4