Re: LGPL module linked with a GPL lib

        Hi,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> >From the GPL:
> > Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
> > covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
> > running the Program is not restricted...
> So the particular details of how things are distributed in memory while
> running aren't directly relevant.
> Modification and distribution are what matters, and it's clear from
> looking at the packages that GStreamer is distributed in Debian in
> conjunction with GPLed bits in a manner that's more than "mere
> aggregation".

 I'm not sure to understand: you mean that since some LGPL GStreamer
 plugins are shipped in Debian along with GPL packages and they can play
 together means that the whole is GPLed?

 Would it be ok to have a copyright file along these lines:

 "The source code for all plugins in the GStreamer Plugins source
 package is licensed under the LGPL, however some plugins are built with
 the help of header files from GPL libraries, and will be linked to GPL
 libraries when loaded in memory.  Thus, using these plugins will switch
 their license to GPL, and you can only use them in applications with a
 license compatible with the GPL.

 You should have received a copy of the GPL and LGPL licenses ..."

 Is a list of plugins necessary?  I guess it's up to the interested
 person to check, nowadays it's relatively easy with tags and Debian's
 "copyright" files, and I don't want to maintain such a list.

 Bye,
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>
Come, your destiny awaits!