Re: Is an upgrade to the Open Publication License possible?

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 03:37 -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
Well, these are the problems with it:
Lemme see if I can condense these down. I had a hard time reading your response.
  1. Add explicit permission to make and distribute modified versions.
  2. Remove or soften requirements for author & publisher names on book covers, esp. for modified versions.
  3. Add explicit allowance of pseudonyms for identifying contributors to modified versions.
  4. Modify requirement to provide location of original document.
These sound more like "collateral damage" than that the license was designed to be non-free. That is, I think that a salvaged license would be reasonably in the spirit of the original. The controlling body, if such a body exists, wouldn't be betraying the copyright holders' intentions by making these changes, as far as I can tell.

I'm going to join the OPL authors' list and see what I can do to get these changes effected.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org>