Re: generated source files, GPL and DFSG

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 02:35:01AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> So say we have two drivers for a piece of hardware. One is written
> without comments. One was originally commented, but the comments have
> been removed. Both provide the same amount of information about how they
> work. Both are released under the same license. Both provide exactly the
> same freedoms to our users.
>
> How is one of these free and the other non-free?

Let's say I write a program in C code and compile it to assembly
language, which I distribute. Somebody else writes an equivalent program
directly in assembly language and distributes it. The distributed
products contain the same amount of information about how they work.

How is one of these free and the other non-free?

-Peff