Re: generated source files, GPL and DFSG

Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> * Matthew Garrett:
>> Yes, but *WHY* do you think that?
>
> It makes it very hard to fix bugs in the pregenerated files.
> Look at the gsfonts mess, it's pretty instructive.

Not all pregenerated files are difficult to modify.

>> If there existed reasonable ways of modifying Java bytecode to create
>> new derivative works, then I'd have fewer qualms about shipping Java
>> bytecode without a compiler. But there aren't, so I do.
>
>>From a technical point of view, Java bytecode is as good as
> uncommented source code.  The Java-to-bytecode compilers are not very
> sophisticated.

We're happy to accept uncommented source code in main. If Java bytecode
is as good as that, it would imply that we're happy to accept it in main
as well.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org