Public Domain and Packaging

Hello,

I run Debian and I recently wrote a small Python program. However,
while I do maintain it, I have placed it in the public domain. I read
the Debian policy manual. After asking for more information about
licensing issues and public domain packages on the IRC channel, I was
told alternately that I would need a license and I should ask on the
Debian legal mailing list. I then also looked in the Debian New
Maintainer's guide, which states "program must have a license, if
possible free as according to the Debian Free Software Guidelines."

Is it acceptable to maintain a public domain package or should I look
at something such as Creative Commons Public Domain?

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/

Thank you for your time,

Rob Crowther