Re: Alternatives to the Affero General Public License

Gregor Richards wrote:
In response section 6:
(So that I can reference, the full section:)
6.  Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions
on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not
responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.
  It seems to me that the license from the original licensor would
include this new term/condition, as that is how (s)he licensed it. Perhaps a rephrase as "an additional term" or something that made it
  obvious that this was a part of the license of the program and hence
  is not an additional restriction when redistributed?  I of course
  can't make an entirely new license based on the GNU GPL without FSF's
  permission, so is there any way that a term could be added at all?

Yes, the term reads 'You may not impose any further /restrictions/ on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein.', so you can add a term that grants the recipients more rights. You can't, however, take any rights granted by the unmodified GPL away (unless you re-write the licence, chop the preamble, and call it something else).

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs - an example of adding a term that grants the recipient additional rights.
--
Lewis Jardine
IANAL, IANADD