Re: Is this license DFSG free?

On Saturday 11 June 2005 11:03 am, Joe Smith wrote:
> a.. The Dissident test.
> Consider a dissident in a totalitarian state who wishes to share a modified
> bit of software with fellow dissidents, but does not wish to reveal the
> identity of the modifier, or *directly reveal the modifications
> themselves*,

If this is actually a test that licenses must pass to be considered DFSG, how
exactly does the GPL survive the test?  Section 2, clause a of the GPL reads,
"You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that
you changed the files and the date of any change." Doesn't this violate the
Dissident test and cause troubles for our poor totalitarian state citizen?

I wasn't around when these tests were developed...  but they seem to cause
more trouble than resolve problems.

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
2nd Year - University of Washington School of Law

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown