Re: New 'Public Domain' Licence

On Thursday 09 June 2005 11:10 pm, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > The primary threat is not from the heirs (although that is a threat,
> > and you don't have control over all your heirs - your parents and
> > cousins can qualify),
>
> If you're worried about your heirs revoking your copyright licences, I
> suggest talking to the FSF or someone like them; you could make the FSF
> the heir to your copyrights.

No, your parents and cousins CANNOT qualify, blood relation is not enough
under the statute.  The right of termination flows from you, to your spouse,
then to your children, and final to your estate's executor.  You can transfer
the copyright to others beyond that chain, but the termination right remains
with the others.

So, if I will my copyright to Frank, my 3rd cousin, who then licenses it to
MGM, either my spouse or children can still exercise their termination right
over that license (but not the transfer to Frank...  since transferring the
copyright by will is not susceptible to termination).

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
2nd Year - University of Washington School of Law

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown