Re: RES: What makes software copyrightable anyway?

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 07:16:10AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On 5/19/05, Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> wrote:
> > > This "absolute protection" did not seem to protect Napster, nor did
> > > the home recording act.
> >
> > Despite their claims to the contrary, Napster's *primary function* was to
> > facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials.  That is
> > clearly not the case with Debian.
>
> Ok, here's what I'm thinking:
>
> First off...

[huge diatribe snipped]

I already told you I'm not getting into this with you.  You seem to like to
change the subject when anyone makes a point you don't want to address.
You're also still trying to make all of the same points you were making the
last time I posted, which means you're not really listening to anyone who's
trying to explain things to you.

> Napster, by the way, was enabling people to make recordings
> of music at home.  There was law on the books (the home audio
> recording act) which seemed to say that these activities were
> perfectly legal.  Court ruled that they were not.

No matter what the court ruled about Napster's CD ripping/copying ability,
that's not what they originally got in trouble for.  They got in trouble for
making it easy for people to trade MP3's, by maintaining a repository of
illegal music download locations.

Debian isn't Napster.  It's not even close.  Stop comparing Debian to
Napster.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>