Re: [WASTE-dev-public] Do not package WASTE! UNAUTHORIZED SOFTWARE [Was: Re: Questions about waste licence and code.]

On 5/18/05, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
> That is completely not possible.  Once you offer (and someone accepts)
> code under the terms of the GPL, they are for evermore entitled to use
> *that* code under the GPL.

There are some exceptions to this.  For example, if you're not the copyright
holder, your offer doesn't count.  Worse, in the U.S., copyright can
be revoked after 35 years (with lots of legal fine print which makes this
difficult to talk about simply).

But none of that seems relevant here.  (And none of it seems specific
to the GPL -- I think this would be just as true for BSD.)

Or, at least... the assertion by nullsoft that nullsoft wasn't authorized
to release WASTE seems to raise the question of whether they're
authorized to claim it wasn't released.  [If they weren't authorized
to release it, who would have been?]

The only reason I can see for Debian to not want to package WASTE
is that as a general rule we try to go along with the wishes of upstream
developers.  But, ultimately, that kind of issue is up to the package
maintainer.

--
Raul