Re: [WASTE-dev-public] Do not package WASTE! UNAUTHORIZED SOFTWARE [Was: Re: Questions about waste licence and code.]

Hello,

(Sorry for just intejecting into the discussion like this, but....)

>From what I understand of the history of WASTE.  At one time, NullSoft did infact release WASTE under the GPL.  However, AOL (NullSoft's parent company) didn't like this, and that message on NullSoft's website is because of that.  (And thus, it was origianlly authorized by NullSoft, but not authorized by AOL.)

Now, from what I understand, once you release something under the GPL, you cannot un-release it.  And if that is the case, then this software is "OK".

See ya

See ya

On 5/18/05, Mirco Bauer <meebey@php.net> wrote:
On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 14:20 +0200, Romain Beauxis wrote:
>       Hi all!
>
> I'm on the way of making a debian package for Waste, and I would have the
> folowing two questions about your software:
>
> Does the licence really reflect GPL?
> This arise because of this:
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/waste/waste/license.cpp?rev=1.1&view=auto
> "WASTE - license.cpp
> Copyright (C) 2003 Nullsoft, Inc.
> Copyright (C) 2004 WASTE Development Team"
> -> What does Nullsoft have to do with Waste?
>
> And also this:
> "//ADDED Md5Chap - THIS PART IS GPL LICENSE!!! TOUCH AND DIE!"
> Followed by a full binary array.

I googled for WASTE I found this:
http://www.nullsoft.com/free/waste/
According to Nullsoft this is UNAUTHORIZED SOFTWARE and is not allowed
to be distributed!
Please delete all source and package copies you may have and do not let
it enter debian!

--
Regards,

Mirco 'meebey' Bauer

PGP-Key:
http://keyserver.noreply.org/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEEF946C8

BodyID:12667657.2.n.logpart (stored separately)

--
     Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

     charles @ reptile.ca
     supercanadian @ gmail.com