Re: RES: Where to put Open Transport Tycoon (openttd)

On 5/17/05, Raul Miller <moth.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/05, Michael K. Edwards <m.k.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Up until a day or two ago I could chalk that up to difficulty with
> > reading comprehension, but the whole business with citing Sun v.
> > Microsoft as proof that some courts skip contract analysis, and then
> > refusing to acknowledge that he was citing the summary of the district
> > court's erroneous decision -- it's just too much.  Not to mention
> > replying to my "courts are likely to construe 'derivative work'
> > narrowly on the licensee's request" as if I had said "courts are
> > likely to construe the license narrowly and thus find the licensee's
> > conduct to be outside it", which is OBVIOUSLY not what I was saying.
> > There's a point at which it crosses over from incompetence to malice,
> > and I think he's well past it.
>
> Given the bulk of what you've written, the illogical debating
> tactics you've used in the posts I was responding to (including,
> but not limited to, ad hominem), I find myself unable to say
> much of anything about how obvious your intent is.
>
> Put differently: I do not believe I was being unfair, but I might
> have been.

On review, "malice" was stronger than is justified, and I retract it.
Raul is being decent in reply, and that tickles my sense of shame.
I'll let others judge how logical his and my debating tactics are, and
I still think his paraphrases are often rather outrageously incorrect,
but let's go back to calling them nothing worse than honest error.

Cheers,
- Michael