Re: What makes software copyrightable anyway?

Raul Miller wrote:

However, on the flip side -- if binaries are the same work as the sources under the eyes of the law, then you can't construct any licenses which treat sources differently from binaries. They're the same.  Anyone who has the right to distribute binaries also has the right to distribute sources.
Nope. You still can stipulate the form in your license. In the lines of "I grant to Raul Miller Publishing House the right to publish my book How to Die without a Penny for Dummies, as long as said publisher makes it in the form of a hardcover."

I'm not sure if that's really the case, but if it is the case it certainly addresses some of the problems which triggered the GPL in the first place.
Nope.