Re: How can I mix GFDL and GPL sources?

Gueven Bay wrote:
Now, I am confused. If I understand the above right, then it is permitted to take a text of wikipedia and redistribute it under the GPL? But the first answer to my post was negative ?

Sorry about all this. My observation was pedantic, not particularly relevant, and has introduced needless confusion.

The GPL does not grant permission to distribute under the GFDL, nor does the GFDL grant permission to distribute under the GPL.

If the legal copyright holder(s) licenses the work under both, then legal recipients can distribute under both, one, or the other. If you can find the author(s) of the text you're wanting to reproduce from Wikipedia, and get them to agree to a license under the GPL, then that would allow you to legally incorporate the GFDL text.

I apologise for all the confusion I've caused.

----you can ignore this bit----
It was implied that you can't /ever/ distribute under both the GPL and the GFDL; you can, but only if you are (or have permission from) all of the copyright holders. The licenses do, however, prevent you from mandating that recipients distribute the work under both licenses (this would be an additional restriction on both licenses); you have to give them permission to use one, the other, or both, at their option.
----you can ignore this bit----

--
Lewis Jardine
IANAL, IANADD