Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 03:15:48AM -0700, Michael K. Edwards wrote:
> Nope.  Compilations (US) / collections (Berne) and derivative works
> are disjoint sets under the Berne Convention (Article 2.5 and 2.3
> respectively) and its national implementations (separate definitions
> in 17 USC 101).

What makes you think that the mathematical concept of a disjoint set
has any relevance here?

Would you claim that article 2(6) is disjoint from article 2(5)?  Or would
you claim instead that it's just focussing on a different aspect of the
same issue?

> Incidentally, the GPL doesn't use "compilation" or "collection" in the
> legal sense at all.

Yeah, well, as it happens we were comparing Italian and U.S.  copyright
law.

--
Raul