Re: Creative Commons license summary (version 4)

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 18:09:11 -0400 Evan Prodromou wrote:

> I think the two big sticking points right now are:
>
>   * _Trademark_. I think we all consider it worth correcting, but
>     there are some folks who think that the problems aren't sufficient
>     to consider the CC licenses non-free. I'd appreciate if we can
>     come to some kind of compromise text. Maybe something along the
>     lines of, "We realize that this is not part of the license, but we
>     are concerned whether any of this language is binding on the
>     licensee or licensor. If so, we can't consider the license +
>     license use restrictions free."

Something similar (of course with more precise phrasing) could maybe
make everyone happy, I would think.

>   * _Recommendation for new anti-DRM section_. I've put in a
>     suggestion for having an anti-DRM clause that meets our
>     requirements (free to choose who receives, free to use whatever
>     format as long as parallel format available), but I'm not sure it
>     meets everyone's approval. It would be good to close this off.

The one in version 4 seems viable:

| You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or
| publicly digitally perform the Work with any technological measures
| that prevent the recipient from exercising the rights granted to them
| by section 8a and section 3 of this License, unless you also
| distribute, publicly display, publicly perform or publicly digitally
| perform the Work for the same recipient without those measures.

> Otherwise, I think we're doing well. Thanks to everyone who's
> commented.

You're welcome.  :)

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4