Re: Draft summary of Creative Commons 2.0 licenses (version 3)

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 07:34:15PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> According to  http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/5293
> there are already at least 10 million works published under a CC
> license.

I'm really suspicious of their numbers. According to
http://people.debian.org/~jgb/debian-counting/ there are at least 55
million works published under a DFSG-free license in potato, for a
sufficiently abtrust definition of "work".

As best I can make out, their guesstimate is based on the number of
web pages linking to their site (because obviously everybody who links
to the site releases precisely one work under their license). I don't
know where they got their numbers though, because google comes up with
about 20k references.

So in summary, I think that "10 million" is pure fiction.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |