Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free?

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:46:02AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote:
> > MJ Ray wrote:
> > > I can understand why I can't call it mozilla, because that's their name.
> > > They are not called firefox though. They make a thing called "Mozilla
> > > Firefox" and are claiming "Firefox" as an extra name.
> > Er, that's what a trademark is :-) Nabisco isn't called Oreo, but Oreo
> > is still their trademark.

> As you have just shown above, you are able to use Oreo without an
> agreement with them. I suspect we are able to use Firefox without your
> agreement, as long as use is honest like proper use of a name.  MF may
> be seeking to establish an over-strict hold over their trademark by
> convincing Debian to make an unnecessary agreement.

Indeed, I know of various ice cream shops that take Oreo cookies, crumble
them to little bits, mix them in with other ingredients, and are allowed to
sell them as Oreo shakes.  So there seems to be precedent that trademark law
allows us to do the same with Mozilla. ;)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer