Re: Please review: The OFL (Open Font License)

Nicolas Spalinger <nicolas_spalinger@sil.org>
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > Nicolas Spalinger <nicolas_spalinger@sil.org>
> >
> >>All the details are available at:
> >>http://scripts.sil.org/OFL
> >

> > The page is not very accessible because [...]
>
> Sorry about that small design problem, we'll be fixing that bit of the
> ..css soon.

Thank you

[...]
> > I suggest "No Modified Version of the Font Software may use a
> > name that is confusingly similar to the Reserved Font Name(s)
> > unless explicit written permission is given by the Licensor."
>
> Maybe similarity isn't a very clear legal word either...

"Similar" is used elsewhere in trademark laws, such as
the Trade Marks Act 1994 currently in force in England:
http://www.bailii.org/uk/legis/num_act/tma1994121/s10.html
So, there are examples which might inform what is and isn't
acceptable use.

"In whole or in part" is a phrasing I don't remember seeing for
a name. It looks to me like the licence is trying to re-assert
the legal protection of names, so please use common language,
rather than introduce a naming lawyerbomb.

[...]
> > Elsewhere, "Copyright Holder" is capitalised but undefined and
> > probably not relevant: I think Licensor is more relevant.
>
> Could you please elaborate a bit on that?

The Copyright Holder(s) need not be involved in any particular
instance of licensing. Other licensors may be able to grant
permission, so parts of clause 3 may be lies in many reasonably
possible cases.

--
MJR/slef