Re: Bioapi license DFSG free ?

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:31:05 +0100 Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

> Hello,
> I would like to know if the license below is DFSG free, i have some
> doubt about that and i would like to know in order to do the ITP on
> bioapi framework.

What you posted is the 3-clause BSD license (just with the name of the
copyright holder substituted, compare with
It's perfectly fine (software released solely under this license does
comply with the DFSG) and it's GPL-compatible, among other things.

> Please Cc me because i haven't subscribed to the
> list ;).

> The License :
> -----
> BioAPI Reference Implementation
> downloading, copying, installing or using the software you agree to
> this license.  If you do not agree to this license, do not download,
> install, copy or use the software.

This warning is a lie, I would say.
Copyright does not cover use: I can legally use a piece of software
without accepting its copyright license; as long as I do not engage in
activities such as redistribution or modification, I'm perfectly OK.

I don't like seeing such misleading warnings, but I don't think they are
a freeness issue (especially when the license to be agreed to is an
almost-all-permissive one such as the 3-clause BSD).

    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4
 Key fingerprint = C979 F34B 27CE 5CD8 DC12  31B5 78F4 279B DD6D FCF4