Re: Clarification regarding PHP License and DFSG status

[Pierre, note the note for you at the bottom.]

> > That is not true. Read carefully the change in wording that they
> > introduced: "This product includes PHP software, freely available from
> > <http://www.php.net/software/>," which would be absolutely true, even in
> > the distribution of a single package.
>
> How does such a single package include the PHP software?
>
> Or do you mean that "PHP software" should be understood as
> "a piece of software in the PHP language"? Then I agree with
> you, but it seems kind of confusing.

Note the delta from the previous version:

   -     "This product includes PHP, freely available from
   -     <http://www.php.net/>".
   +     "This product includes PHP software, freely available from
   +     <http://www.php.net/software/>".

"PHP software" should NOT be understood as "a piece of software in the
PHP language" as you propose, but rather as software distributed by the
PHP Group at http://www.php.net/software/.

In other words, this license is still not acceptable for software that
is not available from the PHP Group at http://www.php.net/software/.

> I also do not understand why the PHP group would want to say
> that
> THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE PHP DEVELOPMENT TEAM ``AS IS''
> since it's the authors of the package that provide the package.

Again, this licence is intended for software distributed by the PHP
Group at http://www.php.net/software/. It is obviously unfit for other
software.

> Perhaps it would be better to have the disclaimer talk about
> the authors instead of the PHP development team? Right now,
> only the PHP team gets the benefit of the disclaimer, not the
> authors of the software.
>
> IN NO EVENT SHALL THE PHP DEVELOPMENT TEAM OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE
> LIABLE FOR ANY ... DAMAGES

Good point. I am CCing Pierre on this issue so that he can bring it
before the PHP Group.

But I don't see this preventing Debian from distributing Pear packages
licensed under the new PHP License.

Charles

--
A Christmas hug