Re: Linking clause deleted from GNAT GPL

On 11/22/05, Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:

> These sloppities lend support to the hypothesis that the exception was
> not drafted by the FSF's usual license advisors.  Is it really FSF
> software?

Don't think so. For two main reasons:

1. GNU doesn't always mean FSF. Most GNU projects are FSF-funded. But
some aren't: GNAT was partially funded by the USAF, GNOME has the
GNOME Foundation.
2. The wording is terrible.

AdaCore is a company, and companies aren't usually all that nice
towards GNU/FSF, etc.

And, no, I don't think that Adacore has the right to remove the clause.

Andrew

--
This space for rent. Enquire within. Terms and conditions apply. See
store for details.