Releasing software sponsored by an employer

> As part of my "day job," I'm working on a piece of Debian-specific software.
> I would like to release it under the GPL and the company is receptive, but
> we're not sure about the exact mechanism we should use.
That's a 'work for hire'.

> Obviously, since it was written using their time and resources, they hold
> copyright on it.
Actually, they hold copyright because they paid you to write it, period.

> They would like to retain ownership, so copyright
> assignment or a quit claim isn't feasible. (In other words, we don't want to
> follow the GPL's fictitious Yoyodyne example where the company disclaims
> copyright.)
>
> I'm wondering what kind of documentation we should have that explicitly
> authorizes me to release this software (copyright still held by the company)
> to the public under a DFSG compliant license.

It's easy as pie.  You don't release it; the *company* releases it.  Use the
usual "How to Apply These Terms to Your New Program", but put the *company*
name in <name of author> (yes, you're the author, this is an error in the GPL
boilerplate).  Here's a revised and better version of  the boilerplate, taking
into account various other little tiny errors:

   <one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it does.>

    <program name> is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
    (at your option) any later version.

    <program name> is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

    along with <program name>; if not, write to the Free Software
    Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301 USA

Put that notice in the software.  Get the company to sign off on it, and
you're done.

(Ideally, someone authorized to act for the company would sign a paper copy of
the above statement; it's not necessary, but it would be 'ironclad proof'
that the company really did this).

Put information about you, the author, separately.  For instance, a statement
saying "I, John Morrissey, wrote this for <copyright holder>; they don't want
to be bothered with questions about it, so bother me instead."

(Incidentally, if at a later point you make significant changes to the program
which are *not* work paid for by the company, then you will have the
copyright to the later changes, while the company will still have copyright
to the old parts; so for those hypothetical future versions of the program,
you would change the copyright line in the notice to:
)

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

[Insert famous quote here]